The first records of Herzegovinian wines date back to the Middle Ages, and the first quantities were exported to Europe over Trieste in 1883. The quality of Herzegovina wines is confirmed by many medals awarded at international wine exhibitions. The first gold medals were awarded in 1898 and 1900 in Vienna; 1901 in Paris and 1903 in London.
It is specific for this location that, in 1892, the Hungarians, as experienced vine growers, grew vineyards of 12 ha and, later on, they built a wine cellar. A high-quality white wine ‘Žilavka’, from the village of Lastva, was supplied to the Habsburg Court in Vienna. Before the start of World War II Hungarians sold its vineyards and wine cellars to Sćepo Vujičić, who continued the tradition of producing quality wines.
For more information on wines and wineries in Herzegovina visit: