In the Bronze and Iron Ages, the Pannonians created fortified settlements on hills, called “gradina”. The village of Donja Dolina, which was an important trading centre and one of the extremely important archaeological sites, also belongs to that period.
A small number of documents have been preserved on the history of this area after the collapse of Western Roman Empire (in 465 A.D.) until the 10th and 11th century. In 1463/64, this area became a part of the newly created Bosnian (Jajce) Banate, founded by the Hungarian king Matthias Corvinus and, after falling under the Ottoman rule in 1535/36, the area became a part of Kobaši kaza, Banja Luka vilayet and Sanjak of Bosnia.
Svinjar settlement existed even before the Ottoman conquest and was located on a hill east of Srbac. On the map “Illiricum”, drawn up in Vienna in 1572, the settlement was registered under the name of “Svinjar” (English: swineherd).
In the period between the two world wars, a certain development of Srbac area took place, especially trade and exploitation of timber from Mount Motajica. In 1933, Svinjar was renamed into its present-day name Srbac.
After the Second World War, this area was for the first time included into a single administrative and territorial entity with local government bodies. In 1958 Srbac became the municipality centre and gravitational zone of the surrounding settlements.