Gračanica of Herzegovina a magnificent edifice built in 2000, dedicated to Holy Mother of God. As desired by the famous Trebinje poet Jovan Dučić, which he put in his last will and testament, the Church of Holy Mother of God was built on Crkvina hill above Trebinje, where the poet was buired. This church is an exact replica of the Gračanica Monastery in Kosovo and Metohija – the reason why many call it Gračanica of Herzegovina. Within the complex are a bell tower, icon gallery, parish hall, amphitheatre, fountain, church bookshop, museum and garden restaurant. The temple can be seen from any point in Trebinje and it is the most beautiful places of worship in the whole Herzegovina. The poet’s wish was to be buried in Trebinje, so his remains were transferred from the USA to Gračanica of Herzegovina in October 2000.
Tvrdoš (4th – 6th century )
Tvrdoš Monastery, 4.5 km from Trebinje on the road to Mostar, was built on the foundations of the old church. The monastery has existed from Late Antiquity (4th – 6th century), and was destroyed and rebuilt several times. The monastery was most demolished in 1694, during battles between the Venetians and Ottomans. At that time all furnishings from the monastery were moved to the Savina Monastery in Herceg Novi, where it is still kept.
The monastery was in the early sixteenth century painted in frescoes by Dubrovnik painters Vicko Lovrov and Trebinje monk Marko Stefanov. In the first half of the eighteenth century monastery Tvrdoš was the biggest scriptorium in the Slovene south, and was also at the same time a cultural and spiritual centre of the wider area.
Tvrdoš Monastery Wine Cellars
The Monastery of Peter and Paul (6th century)
The monastery is located in Petrovo polje, five kilometres south-east from Trebinje. A new church was raised in the early 20th century, which is believed to originate from the Justinianian period (6th century). Archaeological findings show those are very old buildings, probably from the time of early Christianity, which were located on the site of the present monastery. The monastery complex consists of the Apostle Peter Church, built in 1906 on the ruins of the older church, the remains of the Apostle Paul Church and the monastic quarters.
Zavala Monastery (13th century)
The Zavala Monastery is about 40 km south-west from Trebinje. According to folklore, the monastery is King Dragutin’s endowment. As for the time of its foundation, the year of 1271 is often mentioned, which is inscribed on an old monastery seal. The famous medieval painter Georgije Mitrofanović lived there for some period in the early 17th century. He painted the walls of the Chilandar Monastery on Mount Athos before he came to Zavala. Apart from this monastery, he also painted frescoes in the Dobrićevo Monastery, near Bileća.
Duži Monastery (16th century)
The monastery is dedicated to the Feast of the Intercession. It is on the left bank of the River Trebišnjica, 10 km downstream of Trebinje. In the 16th and 17th century it was Tvrdoš Monastery’s ‘metoh’ (church land or estate). When Tvrdoš wa destroyed, the metropolitan and monks moved to Duži in 1695, rebuild and enlarge the church and metoh, which since then has got this name it is famous for today. Until the abolishment of the Patriarchate of Peć, it was the centre of the Metropolitan of Herzegovina. The monastery was destroyed several times – it was plundered and pillaged. The monastery contains valuable religious manuscripts, even Russian editions from Moscow and Kiev. The Monastery Duži keeps a particle of the Holy Cross.
Dobrićevo Monastery (13th century)
The monastery is by all means one of the most prominent monuments of our history and culture. It is considered to originate from the 13th century. There is a legend saying that Constantine the Great and Helena the Empress built the monastery upon their return from Rome. Having a rest here, they commented: ‘It was good’, and that is how the monastery was named Dobrićevo (Serbian: dobro – good). The church was built in the Byzantine style, in the shape of a cross, and was dedicated to the Presentation of Mary. The monastery burned three times in the past. For the first time in 1694, the second time during the First World War, and the third time during the Second World War. Monastery, as well as all other buildings around it are not in their original place. During the construction of HPP Trebišnjica, there was the danger that the monastery could be flooded. Thus, during the 1959, the BiH National Institute for Protection of Cultural Monuments formed a committee, which considered how to save the Dobrićevo Monastery. The conclusion was that the monastery should be relocated. Before the relocation the monastery was on a hill on the right bank of the River Trebišnjica, at the Herzegovina-Montenegrin border. Novo (New) Dobrićevo is located ten kilometers from Bileća, and about twenty kilometers from Trebinje.