The church was being built from 1876 to 1882. In April 1941, the paintings and iconostasis of the church together with furnishing were destroyed in the fire after bombing by German planes. The church and parochial house were restored in 1967. The Metropolitan of Dabar-Bosnia Vladislav consecrated the church on Intercession of the Theotokos in 1971. During the war, the Church of St. Elijah the Prophet became a cathedral and, by decision of the Metropolitan Nicholas, was named Lazarica Romanijska. Since then, on every Sunday after St. Vitus Day and at the diocese level, the spiritual assembly dedicated to Saint Vitus has been organised.
It abounds in exceptional natural beauties and resources, and development of tourism is mainly based on natural resources