Ljubinje is an administrative unit with a long history. It was first mentioned in written records in 1404.
Necropolis with tombstones in Ubosko – In the early Middle Ages, the territory of present-day Ljubinje municipality belonged to the early Middle Age parish of Popovo, with necropolis dating back to the period between the 14th and 15th century.
The necropolis in Ljeljen Cemetery (Ubosko 2) is in possession of the Serbian Orthodox Parish in Ljubinje. Necropolis Ubosko 2 is located almost in the middle of a field in flat terrain. A few found and recorded forts and tumuli are assumed to be from the Bronze or Iron Age. There are 32 stećak tombstones in Ubosko necropolis, in the area of about 22 x 10 m. Central location belongs to a decorated with plinth, and there are other, relatively properly spaced decorated tombstones around it, which are grouped in the central and north-western edge of the necropolis.
In the second half of the twentieth century, by the necropolis with stećci a small orthodox cemetery was built with stone crosses that did not affect the integrity of the necropolis.