The wooden church in Palačkovci was built in 1843. This cultural monument, dedicated to the Apostles Peter and Paul, was entirely built of oak wood. At that time, the permit to build an Orthodox church was paid in gold and could be got only in Constantinople. Based on documents obtained in the present-day Turkish capital, the area of the church could not be larger than the area an ox skin could cover.
By ingenuity of a handyman, the skin was cut into narrow strips which were knitted together to cover a significantly larger area and, by making a roof with wide eaves, under which twice more believers could stand during the liturgy, the temple got its full functionality. Because of its architectural and aesthetic value, it was declared a world heritage site in the former Kingdom of Yugoslavia